Savory Shrimp Salad Ceviche
- Mixing Bowl
- Large saucepan
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife
- Serving Bowl
- 1 pound raw shrimp 21-25 per pound, peeled and deveined or salad shrimp
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Juice of 2 limes
- Juice of 2 orange
- 2 quarts water
- 1 cup diced seeded peeled cucumber into ½ inch pieces
- ½ cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 serrano chiles seeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup diced seeded tomato or tomatillo
- 1 avocado chopped into ½-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped cilantro leaves plus more leaves for garnish
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp kosher salt
- ¼ cup finely chopped cilantro
- Combine the lemon, lime and orange juice in a mixing bowl.
- Chop the cucumber, onion and chiles and add to the juices,
- Place in Refrigerator
- Bring the water and 1 ½ Tbsp salt to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add shrimp and cook for about 3 minutes until just cooked through, then drain the remaining water
- If using salad shrimp, allow to cool about 20 minutes then add to the mixing bowl with the juice and veggies.
- If using regular sized shrimp, transfer to a cutting board until cool enough to handle, about 10 minutes then chop into ½-inch pieces then add to mixing bowl
- Refrigerate this mixture for at least an hour, and up to 6 hours.
- Stir tomato, avocado, chopped cilantro, oil and ½ teaspoon salt into the shrimp mixture. Let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro
- *Serve with plantain or other veggie chips, also serves well with pita chips